Friday 14 December 2012

Writing

 "Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else" ~Gloria Steinem
I absolutely and totally love to write. It is in the very essence of my being, it's as much a part of me as the fingers that type and the eyes that scan over the words. When I write, I get lost in the words, in the story that my mind is creating. I get consumed by the character, I become them, who they are, what they feel, what they've felt, and what they'll do next.

I want to become a writer when I'm older. Well, not that I don't feel like one now, what I mean by that is, a published author. Most girls dream of becoming famous, while I dream of walking into a bookstore and seeing my book on the bestseller shelf. I don't want to be famous, I want my writing to be famous. I want people to read my words, and just relax, get lost in the story, and finish with a resounding thought in their head; that it was a really good book.

I long for the day when the ideas in my head become published, and then I long for the day when I can watch a movie about the ideas that started in my head.

When I start writing something, I have no idea what I'm doing. It's just a little trigger in my head that says, "Chill, I've got this. Now just let me work your fingers." Most of the time I don't even really know what I'm writing, and then when it's done, I just suddenly, know.

I'm working on a novel right now; one in a series of seven. Or six. Not really sure, I might combine book six and seven into one book.

I love poetry too. Well, I'm picky. I like poems that rhyme, I like poems that talk about how I'm feeling inside, and I am a huge fan of slam poetry. I could listen to slam poetry all day long. I find it incredible. I also find the recitation of it good to. I wrote a slam poem once, and I got up in front of a crowd and said it. At first, I was a bit nervous, but I knew I had it. I had memorized it completely, hand gestures, words, when to shout and when to be quiet. And I stood in front of the crowd, and said it. When I was done, the crowd was silent, as if it waiting for me to go on, continue with the story that was captivating them so much. When they realized I was done, they just clapped. You know that slow clap that people do when they think what they just saw was really amazing? That's what some people were doing; and it felt absolutely amazing. I felt incredible inside.

It's a rush, that's all writing is really. It's a rush of excitement, of thrill, of getting a story worth telling out there. It's like taking your heart out of your chest, all those feelings that have welled up inside and have made you swollen with emotion; writing is a way to just let it out, and no one will even really know what you mean, that's the beauty of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment